Sixth Form News
Year 12 Personal Development Week
This week has been another very successful Personal Development week with students participating in a wide variety of activities; examples of these are as follows:-
· Three students have travelled to Spain; two students taught English in a school in Girona, and one attended an intensive residential Spanish course in Seville.
· A number of students have enrolled on an on-line Python programming course
· One student has attended an RAF residential course in preparation for preparing for an expedition to the Himalayas part of an RAF Cadet Team
Over 115 students participated in work experience in a wide variety of activities and Companies; examples of some of the placements that students attended are:
· Six students had the opportunity to work at Lloyds Bank in Broad Street London;
· Two students attended an engineering based placement at Heli Air – Booker Air Park;
· Two students attended Elga Water, Lane End working in Research and Development;
· One student worked in media, sales and production for The Walt Disney Company;
· One student worked at Wycombe Community Radio;
· Two students worked in the tourist industry at Stonor Park and Wycombe Museum;
· Two students experienced research work at Brunel University;
· Two students experienced environmental work with the Wycombe District Ranger Service.
As a school we are committed to meeting the Careers Statutory Guidance Gatsby Benchmarks. Work experience supports Benchmark 6, that every student should have first-hand experience of the workplace through work visits, work shadowing and / or work experience. In attending placements students gain invaluable help assisting them to make decisions on degree subject choices and career paths and provides outstanding evidence on their Personal Statement when applying for University.
At JHGS we are aware of the enormous amount of time and support that is provided to John Hampden students whilst on placement and we are extremely grateful to all companies for providing JHGS students with this invaluable opportunity.