John Hampden Grammar School

English

JHGS English KS4 Overview

The following tables give an outline of the Key Stage 4 (iGCSE/GCSE) courses run by the English Department.

English Language (IGCSE)

Cambridge First Language English 0522 

English Literature (GCSE)

AQA English Literature B

Paper 2 Reading Passages (Extended)

2 hours (50 marks)

Candidates answer three questions on two passages.

External examination.

40% of total marks 

Unit 1 Exploring Modern Texts

1 hour 30 minutes (68 marks)

Section A: An Inspector Calls (45 minutes)

Section B: To Kill a Mockingbird (45 minutes)

External examination.

40% of total marks. 

Component 4 Coursework Portfolio

(50 marks)

Candidates submit 3 assignments, each of 500-800 words.

Internally assessed and moderated.

40% of total marks. 

Unit 2 Poetry Across Time

1 hour 15 minutes (54 marks)

Section A: Conflict Cluster (45 minutes)

Section B: Unseen Poetry (30 minutes)

External examination.

23% for A, 12% for B. Total: 35% 

Component 6 Speaking and Listening

(30 marks)

Candidates take part in at least one individual activity,
one pair-based activity and at least one group activity.

Internally assessed and moderated.

20% of total marks. 

Unit 3 Shakespeare and Literary Heritage

(40 marks)

Controlled assessment written in 3-4 hours

Internally assessed and moderated.

25% of total marks. 

 

 

 

Autumn 1

Autumn 2

Spring 1

Spring 2

Summer 1

Summer 2

 

Year 10

 

 

 

 

Language Units 2 and 4 using IGCSE Coursebook (4th edition): Part 1: Travel and Sport

Coursework Assignment 2: imaginative, descriptive and/or narrative writing.

Deadline for final draft: first week after half term.

Language Units 2 and 4 using IGCSE Coursebook (4th edition) : Part 2: Work and Education

Coursework Assignment 1: informative, analytical and/or argumentative writing

Deadline for final draft: first week after Christmas holidays.

Literature Unit 1:Understanding Modern Texts: Of Mice and Men or To Kill A Mockingbird.

Year 10 Exam preparation

Literature Unit 2:  Poetry Cluster and unseen poetry.

Literature Unit 2:  Poetry Cluster and unseen poetry

Literature Unit 3: Shakespeare and the Literary Heritage.

Literature Unit 3: Shakespeare and the Literary Heritage

Controlled assessment (4 hours).

Speaking and listening

Individual task

Paired task

Group task

Individual task

Paired task

Group task

 

 

Autumn 1

Autumn 2

Spring 1

Spring 2

Summer 1

Summer 2

 

Year 11

 

 

 

 

Language study, using IGCSE Coursebook (3rd edition): Part 3: People

Coursework Assignment 3: Directed Writing

Deadline for final draft: last day of Autumn 2.

Literature Unit 1: Understanding Modern Texts: An Inspector Calls.

Mock Exam preparation:

IGCSE Language Unit 2

GCSE Literature  Unit 1

Language study, using IGCSE Coursebook (3rd edition): Part 4: Ideas and past papers

Coursework for IGCSE Units 4 and 6, and for GCSE Unit 3, submitted.

Revision.

 

Speaking and listening

Individual task

Paired task